What you need to know

We know that getting started can be tough, but we are here to guide you through the process and make it as simple as possible.

Become a member

We value our members. Start your People's Choice journey today by becoming a member.


  • What is an excess?

    When you make a claim you may need to contribute an amount towards the cost of that claim. This is called an excess.
  • What happens with my excess?

    All excesses are specified in your insurance policy schedule or policy booklet and conditions regarding the payment of your excess will vary depending on the policy type, i.e. motor, land, etc. For example, with a motor claim, if CGU determine that you are not ‘at fault’ in an incident, CGU will not deduct the excess specified in your insurance policy when CGU settle your claim. However, if CGU determine you are ‘at fault’, the excess will apply.check link
  • Will I have to pay an excess if the accident was not my fault?

    If it's agreed the incident was not the fault of the driver of your vehicle, and we are provided with the contact details of the person who caused the incident, including their name, current residential address and vehicle registration, and who they are insured with, you won't need to pay your excess.
  • Do I have a choice of repairer?

    You can choose your own repairer or supplier if you would like to. To do this you will need to provide CGU with a written quote from your chosen supplier. If the quote is found to be fair and reasonable (that is comparable to the quotes CGU have received), then you can engage your repairer or supplier. Alternatively you are can choose to use CGU’s managed repairers. This will simplify the process and save time. CGU’s supplier network is extensive and can provide you with prompt attention at a time that is convenient to you.
  • My child under 25 drives the car occasionally. Do they need to be listed as a nominated driver?

    If you have a Nominated Driver Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy or a Nominated Driver Low Kilometre Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy, you will need to update your policy to a standard Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy as the Nominated policies do not cover any loss, damage or liability if your vehicle is driven by someone who is under 25 years of age.
  • I'm in the process of buying and selling a new car, what happens to my insurance during this time?

    We will provide temporary cover if you permanently replace your vehicle in the period of insurance from the date of purchase for a maximum of 14 days. All you need to do is contact us with the full details of the replacement vehicle within 14 days of taking ownership of the vehicle. A new premium for your replacement vehicle will need to be calculated.
  • What does 'agreed value' mean?

    Agreed value is the amount we agree to insure your vehicle for and remains fixed for the term of the current policy period. It is adjusted on each renewal and shown on your current schedule. An agreed value policy means that in the unfortunate event of your vehicle being declared a total loss, you know what you’ll be covered for, regardless of changes in the market. This value includes modifications, manufacturers' options and accessories that we have agreed to insure.

Guides and tips

Talk to us about your insurance needs today!