As with any big purchase, it’s important to be prepared and not rush into things. Before you decide on your new wheels make sure you do your research, take it for a test drive and shop around for a good deal. Part of this process should also be organising insurance so that you’re covered as soon as your drive out of the dealership!
Make sure you've got the right car insurance policy
- Provide your insurer with the right information – You will need to know your make, model and year of your car to get an accurate quote.
- Do your research before you apply – Understand what insurance cover options are available so you can match the right insurance protection for your car. Think about who will be the main drivers of the car and where it will be parked each night. Also consider if you have any accessories or modifications fitted to your vehicle. All of these items are also required to complete an accurate quote to ensure you are covered.
- Comparing products – You have the option to select one of three different types of car insurance cover for your new car depending on your needs.
- Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance - with this option you are only covered for your legal liability for damage caused to a third party’s vehicle or property.
- Third Party Fire and Theft Car Insurance - with this option you are covered for the damage caused to a third party's vehicle or property, plus if your car is damaged by fire or stolen.
- Comprehensive Car Insurance is the broadest level of cover available. With this option your vehicle is covered for specific events such as collision or accidental damage plus covering your legal liability if damage occurs to a third party's vehicle or property.
- Ask questions – If you’re not sure about something, ask your insurer to explain. It’s important to understand your policy and what it does and does not cover.
Ready to organise your insurance? People’s Choice Credit Union may be able to assist with your car insurance needs.