• What happens with my excess?

    All excesses are specified in your insurance policy schedule or policy booklet and conditions regarding the payment of your excess will vary depending on the policy type, i.e. motor, land, etc. For example, with a motor claim, if CGU determine that you are not ‘at fault’ in an incident, CGU will not deduct the excess specified in your insurance policy when CGU settle your claim. However, if CGU determine you are ‘at fault’, the excess will apply.check link
  • Do I have a choice of repairer?

    You can choose your own repairer or supplier if you would like to. To do this you will need to provide CGU with a written quote from your chosen supplier. If the quote is found to be fair and reasonable (that is comparable to the quotes CGU have received), then you can engage your repairer or supplier. Alternatively you are can choose to use CGU’s managed repairers. This will simplify the process and save time. CGU’s supplier network is extensive and can provide you with prompt attention at a time that is convenient to you.
  • What information will I need when lodging a claim?

    The more information you are able to give the CGU claims consultant, the quicker we will be able to settle. You will need to provide the following details: Your policy number and type Verify your personal policy details The name of the insured on the policy Detailed description of the incident The date of loss and the loss address Any details of other parties involved (if applicable)
  • How can I find out how my assessment or repair is progressing?

    For queries on motor assessments and repairs you can call 13 24 80 (13 CGU 0) from 8.00am to 5.00pm ACST Monday to Friday.
  • What is an excess?

    When you make a claim you may need to contribute an amount towards the cost of that claim. This is called an excess.
  • How can I pay my insurance premiums?

    Your insurance premium can be deducted from an account you nominate on either a monthly or annual basis at no extra cost.
  • What happens when I make a claim?

    Once your claim is lodged with CGU, they will allocate a claims consultant who will contact you with the next step. Your claims consultant will keep you informed about your claim's progress along the way. CGU will give you a claim number which will be your ongoing reference to the claim. You can use this reference for all claims enquiries when providing information to CGU on your claim. Some claims are simple but others are more involved - either way, you can be sure that CGU will be working as quickly and efficiently as possible to process your claim.
  • How do I make an insurance claim?

    Making a claim is easy. Just call CGU on 13 24 80 and quote your policy number. You can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Have an existing policy? Here is a list of contact details for our insurers.

Home and contents

  • How do I make a home insurance claim?

    Making a home insurance claim is easy. Just fill up the home insurance online form here. You can also call CGU on 13 24 80 , quote your policy number and make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Would my home and contents be covered for flood?

    From February 2012 all new and renewed policies for Home & Contents and Landlords Residential Property Insurance will automatically include flood cover. Whether it's from a river or storm water, our flood cover will protect your greatest assets with the cover you need.
  • Do I need to have confirmation of ownership of my contents?

    We will ask for reasonable confirmation of ownership. This will allow us to replace your item or items with the best possible match. This type of confirmation can vary from item to item, or situation to situation. A combination of receipts, warranty books and photos are the preferred methods of confirming ownership.
  • What is the level of contents insurance cover that I should have?

    In the event of a loss you will want to replace any items damaged or stolen with brand new items, so you will need to have enough insurance to cover the replacement cost of all your contents. And think about more than just your 'big ticket' items like the fridge and tv - there are a lot of items of value inside your cupboards too! Remember to add on the cost of replacing clothes, crockery, books etc.
  • Do I get a discount if I have an alarm?

    Yes, People's Choice Credit Union offers reduced contents premiums for homes with a local alarm and extra reductions if it's a monitored back to base alarm.
  • Am I covered for my personal effects away from home?

    At People's Choice Credit Union we can arrange a policy for you that covers your personal items away from home.


  • How do I make a car insurance claim?

    Making a car insurance claim is easy. Just fill out the car insurance online form here. You can also call CGU on 13 24 80 , quote your policy number and make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • My child under 25 drives the car occasionally. Do they need to be listed as a nominated driver?

    If you have a Nominated Driver Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy or a Nominated Driver Low Kilometre Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy, you will need to update your policy to a standard Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy as the Nominated policies do not cover any loss, damage or liability if your vehicle is driven by someone who is under 25 years of age.
  • Will I have to pay an excess if the accident was not my fault?

    If it's agreed the incident was not the fault of the driver of your vehicle, and we are provided with the contact details of the person who caused the incident, including their name, current residential address and vehicle registration, and who they are insured with, you won't need to pay your excess.
  • Why is there so much variation in pricing between insurance providers?

    While the static item in an insurance quote is the type of car and where you live, insurers pricing includes a range of elements including what is covered in the policy and the dollar limits of each cover. Other elements affecting price are how much you drive your vehicle, and how many people drive your vehicle. Therefore it is important for you to check your insurance policy to make sure it has the level of protection that best suits your needs, and take advantage of any discounts that may be available.
  • If I have an existing insurance policy, can my no claim bonus be transferred over?

    We base our no claim bonus on your driving history not your insurance history, even if you haven't had insurance in your name in the past.
  • Do I have a choice of either agreed or market value?

    You have a choice to insure your vehicle for either an agreed value or the market value.
  • I'm in the process of buying and selling a new car, what happens to my insurance during this time?

    We will provide temporary cover if you permanently replace your vehicle in the period of insurance from the date of purchase for a maximum of 14 days. All you need to do is contact us with the full details of the replacement vehicle within 14 days of taking ownership of the vehicle. A new premium for your replacement vehicle will need to be calculated.
  • What does 'market value' mean?

    Our assessment of your vehicle’s value at the time of the incident you are claiming for, using local market prices and considering the age and condition of your vehicle. It includes any modifications, options or accessories attached to the vehicle, GST, registration, and Compulsory Third Party Insurance (if applicable).
  • Can I get a discount if I have an alarm fitted?

    No. Our claims experience suggests thefts of vehicles, and thefts from vehicles, does not differ significantly enough to warrant a further discount between vehicles with and without alarms.
  • Why do I have to pay an age excess?

    Drivers under 25 have a higher likelihood of lodging a claim where they are at fault. To compensate for that, an age excess applies if you are at fault in an accident.
  • What does 'agreed value' mean?

    Agreed value is the amount we agree to insure your vehicle for and remains fixed for the term of the current policy period. It is adjusted on each renewal and shown on your current schedule. An agreed value policy means that in the unfortunate event of your vehicle being declared a total loss, you know what you’ll be covered for, regardless of changes in the market. This value includes modifications, manufacturers' options and accessories that we have agreed to insure.
  • What is the difference between Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft and Third Party Property Damage Motor Vehicle Insurance?

    Comprehensive provides cover for loss or damage to your vehicle in the event of an accident, fire or theft. It also covers your legal liability for loss or damage to another person's vehicle or property. Third Party Fire and Theft provides cover for damage to your vehicle by fire and theft only and your legal liability for loss or damage to another person's vehicle or property. Third Party Property Damage provides cover for your legal liability for loss or damage to another person's vehicle or property - however, it does not cover damage to your car.
  • How much does car insurance cost?

    The cost depends on a number of things, including your type of car and whether you’ve had an accident before. There are some ways to lower the cost, like if you name the drivers on your policy or if you choose a policy that has a limit on how far you drive each year. The fastest way to see how much your insurance costs and look at your options is to quick quote.


  • Will I have to pay an excess for travel insurance claims?

    An ‘excess’ is your contribution towards the cost of a claim. We will reduce the amount we pay you for a claim for any one incident by your excess amount. This can be found on your policy schedule. You cannot remove the excess by paying a higher premium.
  • Who can I contact regarding my travel insurance if I am overseas?

    If you have any difficulties while you are travelling, call our Emergency Assistance Hotline and speak with one of our expertly trained, multilingual staff. The numbers to call reverse charge, depending on whether you are travelling within Australia or overseas are (02) 8895 0698 (within Australia) and +61 2 8895 0698 (via the local operator while overseas).
  • How do I make a travel insurance claim?

    Making a claim is easy. Just call CGU on 13 24 80 or email and quote your policy number. You can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Learn more about making a general insurance claim here.


  • When do additional and multiple excesses apply?

    Additional excesses apply for the following claim types: - An earthquake - Tsunami - Vandalism or malicious acts by tenant or visitor - Deliberate or intentional acts by tenant or visitor - Theft by tenant - Rent default - Accidental damage by tenant. Multiple excesses will apply when there are a number of separate identifiable events. Where there are multiple areas of damage (e.g. malicious or deliberate) and CGU cannot clearly identify each as a separate event, a common sense approach needs to be adopted in the application of excesses.
  • What is the difference between Loss of Rent and Rent Default?

    Rent Default applies when a tenant fails to pay the agreed rent and is in breach of a written, rent agreement or periodic tenancy agreement. Loss of Rent applies when your building or sections of your building suffer loss or damage and are uninhabitable. As a result, you will be covered for any loss of rent equal to the weekly amount as stated on your rental agreement or periodical tenancy agreement for up to 12-months. The most that will be paid is up to the sum insured, as listed on your schedule. Note: Rent Default and Loss of Rent are noted as optional cover; when purchased they will be included on the most recent schedule.

Mortgage repayment insurance

  • How do I lodge a claim for Mortgage Protection Plus?

    To lodge a claim for Mortgage Protection Plus, call the QBE MemberCare Team on 1800 226 122, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have an existing Mortgage Repayment Insurance policy, click here for a list of contact details for our insurers.

Accidental income

Did you find what you are looking for?

Help us improve our website and the information we provide to ensure you get what you need.